Kala chana curry is an Indian chickpea recipe made from black chickpeas instead of yellow chickpeas also known as chola. In northern India there is a saying that if you eat black chickpeas, you will become strong like a horse because horses are fed black chickpeas.Well there is nothing wrong in the saying because Black Channa is very rich in minerals, iron and protein. There are many ways to make black chickpeas- like kale channe ki chaat, sukha kala channa etc. I have made it in tomato gravy. Enjoy :)
- 250 grms kala chana (dry black chickpeas)
- 2 medium onions (choppes)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 6-7 cloves of garlic
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 black cardamom (badi/kali ilaychi)
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 Tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 Tsp Coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1/2 Tsp cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 Tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp red chili powder (lal Mirch)
- 2-3 fresh green chilies chopped
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 2-3 Tbsp Oil
- Wash and soak the black chick peas in water overnight.
- Next day, add the black chick peas in the pressure cooker and cover with water salt and turmeric. Wait till 8 whistles.
- Puree the tomatoes along with ginger and garlic and keep aside.
- Heat oil in the cooking pot. Crackle the cloves, cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon and cumin seeds in oil. Add the chopped onion and cook on high till light brown.
- Now add the pureed tomatoes with all the dry powders and the pressure cooked channa. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Lastly add the green chillies and chopped coriander and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Once cooked keep it covered for half an hour so that channa absorbs all the flavours and spices.
Serve hot with rice or bread.