Khaman Dokhla is an Indian Guajarati speciality. It is perfect for any time snack. It is like a savoury sponge cake made from gram flour. It is healthy snack as it is not deep fried and also rich in proteins and carbohydrates.
Gram Flour (besan)-sieved-2 cups
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder(haldi)-1/2 tsp
Green Chilli-Ginger paste-1 tsp
Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
Soda Bicarbonate-1 tsp
Mustard Seeds (rai)-1 tsp
Coriander leaves-Chopped-2 tbsp
Coconut -Grated- 1/4 cup
Green Chili-Slit- 4-5
- Take gram flour in a bowl. Add yogurt and approximately one cup of warm water and mix. Avoid lumps.
- Add salt and mix again. Leave it aside to ferment for three to four hours.
- When gram flour mixture has fermented, add turmeric powder and green chilli-ginger paste.
- Heat the steamer. Grease a thali/plate. In a small bowl take lemon juice, soda bicarbonate, one teaspoon of oil and mix. Add it to the batter and whisk briskly.
- Pour batter into the greased thali/plate and place it in the steamer. Cover with the lid and steam for ten minutes.
- When a little cool, cut into squares and keep in a serving bowl/plate.
- Heat remaining oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds and chilli. When the seeds begin to crackle, remove and pour over the dhoklas.
- Serve, garnished with chopped coriander leaves and scraped coconut.