Sabudana Khichidi is one of the most popular Maharastrian breakfast dish. This is also a popular fasting food. Although it is very simple to prepare, the main trick lies in soaking sago/ sabudana to perfection. It is because if there is excess water then it will become rubbery and if the water is less then it will come out really hard. And to get that perfection; you will have to try...So do try!.... :-)
- 1 cup sabudana (sago)
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 2 Green Chilies- chopped finely
- 1/2 cup crushed groundnuts
- 1 boiled & peeled potato
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Rai (Mustard Seeds)
- 1 tsp Haldi (Turmeric)
- 1 Pinch Hing (Asafoetida)
- 2 tbsp grated fresh Coconut
- ½ tomatoes-chopped
- 1 tsp of lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Few Coriander leaves
- Few Curry Leaves
- Wash sago till there is no powder left.
- Then soak them in just enough water till it covers the sago and leave it for 5 hours
- Chop the potatoes into small cubes. Mix crushed groundnuts, sugar and salt and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When the mustard seed crackle add green chilies, hing and curry leaves.
- Add potatoes and stir well. Then mix sabudana, turmeric, crushed groundnuts, sugar, salt, tomatoes and lime juice.
- Mix the grated coconut and garnish with coriander leaves. (I garnish with mint leaves because coriander was not there.)
- Serve hot.