Nutritious and flavorful, Dal is the quick choice for any meal. Dal is one of the principal foods of the India which is used for soup, starters to dessert. All states have their own way of making dal, what I have made here is simplest form of Dal (Tuar Dal). I will be soon posting various forms of daal.Check my snack time daal.
- 2 cups Yellow Lentils (Tuar Dal)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil (Any)
- 2 whole red chilli
- 1 tsp cumin (Jeera)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro/coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric (Haldi)
- ½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder (Lal Mirch)
- Salt to taste
- Wash lentils and drain well.
- In a pressure cook, cook rice with 4 cups of water, salt and turmeric till 4 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add cumin, asafoetida and whole red chilli.
- Then add chopped tomatoes with red chilli powder and keep stiring. Cook till tomatoes are soft.
- Lastly add cooked lenthils and bring to boil.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro/coriander.
Serve hot with Rice or bread.