Summers in India mean all the homes busy preparing various types of pickles. The spicy mango pickle and the tangy lemon pickle are the most common; but both these pickles are very time consuming, thus I wanted something which was quick, spicy and tangy; it was with this idea that I prepared Tomato Pickle-it looks like chutney but the spices used are of pickle. Yummy and instant!!!
- 5 tomatoes
- ½ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 6 cloves garlic (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 Dry Red Chilies
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli powder (Lal Mirch)
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Heat pan and dry roast mustard, fennel, fenugreek and dry red chillies.
- In the blender blend together tomatoes, garlic and the above roasted spices.
- Heat oil in the pan and add asafoetida in it. Then add the blended puree, salt, sugar and red chilli powder in it.
- Cover it and let it boil till the consistency is running and water has evaporated. (The color will become dark red)
- Once cool keep it in airtight container.
Serve it with rice, idli, dosa, sandwiches...almost all the dishes!