Brinjal/Eggplant/Baingan Chutney is spicy and tangy brinjal chutney is something different from regular coriander chutney. It makes a good accompaniment with all most everything. For all those who do not like brinjal/baigan much, do try this version of eggplant and I am sure you will never deny having baingan again. This is my Mom's recipe (this was the way how I started liking and eating brinjal)!!
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Onion chopped
- 7 to 8 Curry leaves
- 4 Brinjals / small eggplants
- 4 Tomatoes
- 2 slit Green Chillies
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1 cup Coriander leaves
- 2 tsp Tamarind pulp
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker, add mustard seeds and onion, cook until onions becomes soft.
- Add curry leaves, brinjal and cook for a minute.
- Then add in tomatoes, mix and cook for another minute.
- Add slit green chillies, chilli powder, salt,coriander leaves, tamarind paste and water; mix well.
- Cook until 2 whistles, wait until all pressure releases.
- Mash all of them together to make it look like chutney
- Now cook chutney uncovered suitable to your desired consistency.