Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cabbage Kofta Curry, Perfect Side Dish


Kofta curries are my favourite and I prefer them any day. By the koftas are fried pakoras balls simmered in spicy gravy and there many variations of making it. I made lauki kofta in curd gravy and I got some nice response there. I have tried making the royal paneer koftas too (which is my much-loved dish). This time I attempted making koftas using cabbage and I find it irresistible now. As inexpensive as cabbage is, it is one of the richest when it comes to protective vitamins.

Grated cabbage is mixed with little gram flour and spices which in turn produces crispy pakoras. Later these fried pakoras are immersed in hot and spicy tomato gravy. Now, Mr. Husband is not a very huge fan of cabbage, so I fooled him saying that those were lauki koftas and he relished every bite. Ofcourse I did tore the veil later and he smiled and said- really? You must make them often *happy dance*. So, If like me you are bored making same cabbage dry subzi then you have to give this dish a shot.  


Ingredients:

For Koftas:
2 cup shredded cabbage /patha gobhi
3/4 cup gram flour or as needed
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed /jeera
2 teaspoon chopped coriander/hara dhania
1 teaspoon shredded ginger/adrak
1 chopped green chilli/hari mirch
1 teaspoon salt
Oil to fry

For Gravy:
3 medium tomatoes
2 onions/pyaz
1/2 inch ginger/adrak
5 cloves garlic/lehsun
1 green chilli
2 tablespoon yogurt
2 tablespoon oil
Pinch asafoetida/hing
1 teaspoon cumin seed /jeera
1 tablespoon gram flour/basen
1 tablespoon coriander powder/dhania
1/2 teaspoon turmeric /haldi
1/2 teaspoon salt -adjust to taste
1/4 teaspoon red pepper powder/lal mirch
2 tablespoon finally chopped coriander/hara dhania
1 teaspoon sugar

Method:

For Koftas:
Mix together all the kofta (dumpling) ingredients. Adjust gram flour as needed to make a texture of very soft dough.

Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat.
Check if the oil is ready, just put one small piece of the mix in the oil, it should sizzle and come up right away.
Slowly drop about 1 tablespoon of the dumpling mixture into the frying pan one at a time.
Fry the koftas in small batches.Turn the koftas occasionally. Fry the koftas until they turn golden-brown all around.

Gravy:
Blend the tomatoes, green chillies, garlic, onions and ginger to make a puree.
Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium-high. Add the asafoetida, cumin seeds and gram flour.Stir for minutes.
Add the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, and cook on medium heat until the tomato mixture starts leaving the oil and reduces to about half in quantity.
Next add yogurt and cook for another minute.
Add about 1½ cups of water and the salt. As it comes to boil reduce the heat to medium-low and let the gravy cook for few minutes.
Add the prepared koftas and let it simmer for another 7 to 8 minutes.
Turn of the heat and add the coriander and cover the pot.


Notes:
Make the dumpling mix just before you are ready to fry the koftas otherwise it will become watery.
Just omit garlic and onion if you don’t like in the gravy.

Taste:
Spicy, soft and hot

27 comments:

  1. Stunning koftas made with cabbage. I have never tried out before but sure its there. I am bet sure my other half will love it, drenched in the thick gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic kofta curry, looks so tempting!

    today's post:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/08/baked-namkeen-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well ..when I wss small..my mom made me eat the very ripe bitter guord which was nearlly redfish..saying it wad chilly fish!!! And..I believed it !!!! These is anyways a very lovely dish..esp with cabbage. ..gud version

    ReplyDelete
  4. He he :) Mothers know all :) Thanks Sona :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, I love it, I love it, I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kofta looks superb...tempting clicks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely way to use up cabbage, kofta curry looks yummers

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, your cabbage kofta makes me drool awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Koftas curries are yummy and fancy. I've never made it with cabbage, sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting kofta curry and looks soooo delicious dear :) drool worthy curry !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. me too , me too Linsy :) thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks very much Manjula and Kalpana :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's really a variety dish you made with cabbage. I too get bored with the usual cabbage stir fry I make. Loved the thick gravy of the curry. Very nice recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks awesome.. Though first time hearing abt koftas with cabbage.. Nice idea !

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so creative. Cabbage kofta sounds so good. I love koftas in most forms and this one looks like a winner to me. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. koftas look so tender and melt in mouth perfect yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks very yummy :) I had made the Aloo Kofta Curry some days back. But your Kofta curry is well made and well presented :)

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)