Friday, January 3, 2014

Gond Ladoos, Must Have Sweet In The Winters


Before I move ahead, I want to wish you all a very Happy New Year. May this year adds loads of happiness and smiles in your lives. So, where was I? Well, I went to India in November for a month. India is always so much fun- meeting everyone, shopping and above all eating delicious food. *happy dance*

After coming back, I was down with fever and jetlag added spice to my suffering. I was literally waking up at 4am, feeling hungry at odd times and missing home and family a lot. Now, after 2 weeks I feel normal and adjusted to normal routine. The very first thing that I wanted to regulate soon was blogging. So here I am back with a sweet feast for the new beginning.


Gond Ke Ladoo, is a traditional Rajasthani sweet.'Gond' is the edible gum which is in crystal form in pearly yellowish translucent pieces of different sizes. This edible gum generates heat and that is why it is usually consumed in the winters. It comforts one as it helps to keep the body warm. Gond is fried in ghee, puffed up and added to roasted wheat flour to make Ladoos.

While coming back from India, my mom packed these ladoos for me. Trust me these are so purposive in the harsh cold winters of the UK. To boost its goodness my mom added dry fruits.The roasted aroma of nuts enhances the taste and exposes out that missing crunch. So, here I share with you all my mom’s special recipe.


Ingredients:
Wheat flour/ Atta, 1 1/4 cup
Edible Gum/Gond/Khatira- 3 Tablespoons
Powdered Sugar- 1/2 cup
Black pepper powder- 1/4 teaspoon
Cardamom Powder,-1/2 teaspoon
Ghee, 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Mixed Nuts (cashew, almonds and raisins)- 1/2 cup

Method:
  1. Heat 1/4 cup of ghee in a pan, add edible gum and fry till it is puffed up. Remove it from the pan and then drain excess ghee and roughly break them to pieces with a rolling pin and set them aside.
  2. In the same pan add 2 tablespoon of ghee and roast all the nuts for 1 minute or till they become nice brown. Set aside.
  3. Now, on a low-medium flame, heat the remaining ghee and add the wheat flour and roast it, stirring continuously till the flour starts to change its color. 
  4. Turn off the heat. Let it cool lightly so that it is comfortable to handle. 
  5. To the above roasted flour, add the crushed edible gum,black pepper powder, nuts, powdered sugar, cardamom powder, mix well. 
  6. Take this mixture and shape them into ladoos of the size you want.



Notes:
If you find it difficult to shape ladoos then you can add some melted ghee and then shape them.
Store them in air tight container. It does not spoil for 2-3 months.
It also acts as a very good travel food.

Taste:
Sweet, crunchy and warm.

18 comments:

  1. Love the ladoo and this tastes really good.happy new year dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. healthy ladoos and perfect winter sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to taste these laddus with edible gum :) so perfect for the new year. Happy new year to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here too, whenever I visit my native place and get back home, I feel so abandoned :( Gond ladoos looks divine, wrapped up in a towel, must try some :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great pics swetha..different version of ladoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shweta, I wish you a Happy New Year and hope that 2014 will be filled with joy and great adventures! :-)

    Karine xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gond ladoos looks awesome .By the way i am first hearing a ladoo with black pepper looks very intresting ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. have had this from my friends when i was schooling...they are so good for winter

    ReplyDelete
  9. yumm yumm ladoos dear.
    wishes for a great year ahead.
    Latest on Quick Picks - my 100th post and 1st guest post
    http://ieatonline.blogspot.com/2014/01/a-century-first-guest-post-and-very.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the laddoos... infact mom has just send the parcel.. with all the love in it.
    Would you like to follow each other?
    Nisha

    ReplyDelete
  11. love these laddu's and have always wanted to make them. Your's look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks too good :) i am loving the Ladoos :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. good that you r back , must try these ladoos

    ReplyDelete
  14. Each and every comment is very special for me. Thanks everyone for such lovely comments :-)

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)