Monday, April 24, 2017

Curd Rice: Thayir Sadam



Honestly I never had curd rice before; it was a year ago when I first ever tried it. My office colleague who is from Chennai introduced me to curd rice and its goodness.  She explained me that curd rice is a solution to any problem-be it bad tummy days, after greasy food to just a lazy meal idea.

Yogurt or curd or dahi as we call it in hindi is one super healthy ingredient. Like all milk or dairy product curd is also rich in calcium which offers us healthy bones and teeth. Curd has ‘good bacteria’ present in it which strengthens your immune system by fighting against several microorganisms that are present in the body. Consuming curd can go a long way in maintaining a healthy heart, it reduces cholesterol levels. Lastly yogurt is great booster for healthy digestion.

Rice as we know when eaten in moderation can be a good source of carbohydrates. It also contains some amount of proteins, folic acid and phosphorus. What I like about rice the most that even little quantity of rice can make you feel full.


So, when these two ingredients curd and rice combines together to form this easy peasy south Indian dish called Curd Rice the outcome is just amazing. Every now then when I want my stomach lining to cool down from the spicy Indian food I only think about curd rice. From the time I have returned back from Dubai my health hasn’t been well, from stomach problems to toothache to headaches to feeling weak-everything is going on; it is only Curd Rice that comes to rescue.

Now, I am not from south India so may be my recipe is different. I would suggest all my non south Indian friends and followers to have curd rice once in their lifetime (if you haven’t, like me ;-). It is a perfect summer meal when you don’t want to slave yourself in the kitchen. Serve it with some pickle or chutney and a papad-just perfect.

Ingredients
1 and 1/2 cups yogurt/curd/dahi
2 cups boiled rice/chawal
5 tablespoons milk/doodh
2 tablespoon oil
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida/hing
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds/sarso/rai
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
6 curry leaves/kadi patta
3 green chillies slit
2 tablespoons coriander leaves/dhaniya
Salt to taste

Method:
In a large bowl, add yogurt, milk and rice. With potato masher, mash the rice. Add salt and keep aise.
In a pan heat oil and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida. Let the seeds crackle.
Add in green chillies and curry leaves. Mix.
Pour the oil tempering on curd rice mixture. Give a nice stir.
Add in coriander leaves. Mix and serve.


Notes:
Never ever serve curd rice hot. It should be served at room temperature.
You can add chopped green chillies; I added whole chillies so that I can remove it easily.
You can add channa dal or urad daal in tempering as well. I kept it as simple as possible.
Some people add water instead of milk. Feel free to add water as well.


1 comment:

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)