Monday, November 4, 2013

Gulab Jamuns With Kelly's Of Cornwall


I am sure most of you have already started mourning over weather. No more bright sunny days, no more barbeques, no skirts....its fall time *sad*sad*. I hate these gloomy depressing days. A cup of hot tea or a bowl of dessert is must to uplift my mood. Well someone has said it right- ‘You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy ice-cream and that’s kind of the same thing.’

Recently I was sent vouchers of Kelly’s of Cornwall and I picked the clotted ice-cream. Let me tell you, it deliciously rich and creamy ice cream. This ice-cream is not very sweet and thus I loved it even more. It is made with lashings of clotted cream to give it a smooth, velvety texture and which is why it melts in your mouth.


My husband is very fond of ice-creams, be it summers or winters, he can have ice-cream anytime. He really feels sad for those who do not have ice-cream in winters. Actually, even I don’t understand why will anyone ignore having ice-cream in any season. Why not pair cold chilled ice-cream with lemon cake, brownie, banana pancakes, or simple chocolate sauce and nuts and find that missing comfort in eating *dance*dance.


With festive mood and chilly days in my mind I accompanied the ice-cream with Gulab Jamuns. Gulab Jamuns are so famous and I must declare it as national sweet of India. These little balls are fried and coated in sugar syrup- ah! drops of heaven. And when these hot beauties are matched up with chilled ice-cream, they perform perfect twosome in your mouth *grin**grin*.

Phew! Just stop sulking about the weather and pick up this ice-cream and relish with this hot dessert. I am sure it will boost your mood. Recipe below :)

Ingredients:
For Jamuns:
Milk Powder : 1 cup
All purpose flour : 1/4 cup
Sugar : 2 cups
Baking Powder : 1/4 tsp
Unsalted butter : 1 tbsp
Cardamom Powder : 1/2 tsp
Oil for deep frying
For Syrup:
a few saffron strands (optional)
3 cups sugar

1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder

Method:
For the Sugar Syrup:
In a large pan, combine the sugar with 1 liter of water and bring to a boil.
Simmer over a slow flame till the syrup is 1 string consistency.
Add the saffron and cardamom powder and keep the syrup warm.

For the  Jamuns:
Mix the milk powder with baking powder, flour, unsalted butter and little water, make a smooth dough. Cover it with a lid and set aside for 15 minutes. 
Divide the dough into small smooth balls.
Deep fry in ghee over a medium flame till the jamuns are dark brown in colour (for approx 10 to 12 minutes).
Drain and immerse in the warm sugar syrup. Soak for 30 minutes.


Notes:
Remember softer the dough, softer will be the Jamuns.
If the dough doesn’t come together keep adding few drops of milk.

(Thanking Kelly's of Cornwall for sending vouchers) 

17 comments:

  1. yummy gulab jabun, loved with ice cream. visit me too when u have time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gulab jamun with ice cream yummy...love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is an perfect- homemade gulab jamun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to finish that whole plate rite now,irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is combo of two tasty dishes together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the ice the ice-cream- gulab jamun combo. It never fails to impress and is so popular in north Indian weddings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gulab jamun is my Indian dessert,I can eat it even if my tummy is stuffed...i don't need icecream to enjoy this but having heard abt the combi so much I want to try eating the combi one day :)

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)